[Asterisk-Users] GPS-enabled cell phone/PDA

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 08:39:14 MST 2006

In the US, Sprint's CDMA network will do the fancy GPS+AFLT business,
but like someone else mentioned, it only sends the location data back
to Sprint's network. There is an API that you can use to access this
data for your handsets, but you have to pay some amount of money for
each location fix.

Sprint's iDEN phones (formerly Nextel) contain GPS units that can be
accessed from the phone's serial port, and I am pretty sure that the
GPS data can be accessed from a J2ME applet running in the phone. Such
an applet could then make an appropriate HTTP request to a web/app
server you run, in order to upload the data. However, the GPS data
received using this method is obtained using _only_ GPS, with no AFLT
or other form of assistance from the cellular network. The
significance of that, of course, is that you will not be able to get a
GPS fix in locations where a "regular" GPS receiver can't get a fix,
such as indoors in most cases.

-Rusty