[Asterisk-Users] Analyzer for Milliwatt

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Feb 24 06:33:19 MST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 07:56, Paul wrote:
> Maybe the first approach should be to setup a test extension for
> recording the tone. The idea is to get best resolution possible in real
> time. Then process it as much as needed to get the info you want. Such
> an approach would give you more flexibility. For example, you could
> automatically place periodic test calls to various servers and have the
> recordings then forwarded to one server for analysis. That would
> minimize the impact on production asterisk servers.

What is being discussed here is basically what I was planning on doing for an
automatic VOIP quality check.  Using miliwatt and analyzing it for
pop/jitter/etc as well as sending other known waveforms and comparing what
was received to what was expected and coming up with some "quality" number
which would be fed back to the dialplan to adjust the least-cost routing
paths.  Essentially come up with a "least cost but still good quality"
routing.  :-)

I've done absolutely nothing other than a little research and a lot of
thinking about how to do it though.  I did some research on digital click/pop
removal for records as a way to detect poor quality, and then also some
monkeying around with coppice's excellent DSP routines in spandsp.

-A.