[Asterisk-Users] GPS-enabled cell phone/PDA

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Feb 24 06:17:52 MST 2006

> I would like to capture the lat/lon coordinates from a GPS-enabled cell
> phone or PDA.  Is this possible?  Must I subscribe to this information
> from the cellphone network provider, or can I capture it without charge?
>
> What devices will broadcast the coordinates?  Is there a device that
> will broadcast its position inband that can be captured by Asterisk?
> Can an SMS message include coordinates?
>
> The subject will willingly carry the device and will be aware that his
> location is being monitored, so privacy rights are not an issue.  The
> subject will make periodic calls to the Asterisk server in order to
> record his movements.
>
> Does anyone have experience in this area?

Its my understanding the cell phone coordinates are sent to the cell phone
provider and their equipment reads (and holds) that data. Its not part
of any data available to you in any form unless you talk to the cell
provider and convience them you have a valid need. Highly unlikely in
the US anyway. Even if you could convience them to provide it, they
would likely demaand some sort of out-of-band data transmission facility.