[Asterisk-Users] GPS-enabled cell phone/PDA

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Thu Feb 23 19:36:39 MST 2006

I would like to capture the lat/lon coordinates from a GPS-enabled cell
phone or PDA.  Is this possible?  Must I subscribe to this information
from the cellphone network provider, or can I capture it without charge?

What devices will broadcast the coordinates?  Is there a device that
will broadcast its position inband that can be captured by Asterisk?
Can an SMS message include coordinates?

The subject will willingly carry the device and will be aware that his
location is being monitored, so privacy rights are not an issue.  The
subject will make periodic calls to the Asterisk server in order to
record his movements.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Michael Welter