[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk 1.2.4 IAX2 New Jitterbuffer Tuning

Adam Robins arobins at PharmaCentra.com
Fri Feb 24 05:53:38 MST 2006

I was using IAX2 with ILBC and no trunking.  I also set the
resyncthreshold=-1 to turn it off.  Still had major jitter problems.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Rich
Adamson
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 6:44 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk 1.2.4 IAX2 New Jitterbuffer
Tuning

> >> After 2 weeks of messing around with every conceivable IAX2 and
> >> jitterbuffer configuration, I switched to SIP yesterday.
> >> Complaints went from 10-20 per day to ZERO.  Literally overnight.
> >
> > I wonder if this is an ILBC frame size issue of some sort?  Seems
odd.

> I've got to add my name to the list here.  We're just using GSM over
> our IAX links, and our jitterbuffer values look like this:
>
> maxjitterbuffer=1000
> resyncthreshold=1000
> maxjitterinterps=10
>
> For the most part the new jitterbuffer actually yields much better
> quality than the old jitterbuffer, but when the resyncs happen, it's
> like the call has a lot of trouble getting get back on track.  It
> flounders for quite a while, with badly broken audio, sometimes up to
> 20 seconds before coming back.  I've tried hanging up as soon as event

> starts happening and then immediately calling the same number, and the

> channel comes back with crystal clarity.  So it seems to me like there
is something askew with the resync.

If memory serves correctly, I believe I remember Mark applying a fix to
the iax jitterbuffer and that fix had something to do with a counter
rollover or something like that. That fix happened in the last week or
so.

I'm not sure if that would have been included in v1.2.4 or not, but
might be worth a little research.

I also opened a bug a month or two ago involving ilbc and iax, and
someone else confirmed it was a bug. Don't have the bug number handy,
but the problem related to a combination of iax trunking, jitterbuffer
and ilbc.
Disabling one of those consistently bypassed the problem.