[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Feb 23 15:48:59 MST 2006

>The cost saving of being able to pin-point a cabling/NIC/bandwidth
>problem down to the port on the switch easily and quickly is wonderful

We also use 3com NJ-200's which is a 4 port switch in a wall plate that has
SNMP and other goodies. I can troubleshoot down to the wall plate, anywhere
in the world. Last year I was on holidays in Vancouver (1000K away from the
office) and I got the call that an exec couldn't plug his laptop into the
wall, no signal, and he was pissed. I whip out my laptop, walk across the
street to Starbucks, got a wifi signal, VPN in, I check it out - nope, it's
your stupid laptop, PHB-boy. Turns out he disabled the onboard NIC. That
single incident, to me justifies the whole expense of a good infrastructure
(and to the PHB too - he was spooked that I could do that)