[Asterisk-Users] How can I force Asterisk t not override my codec order?

Álvaro Palma apalma at opschile.cl
Thu Feb 23 14:35:06 MST 2006

I've noticed the following situation:

In two softphones, I've configured the next codec order for each one

softphone 1: 1 - PCMA
              2 - GSM

softphone 2: 1 - GSM
              2 - PCMA

and in Asterisk, the order is:

disallow=all
allow=gsm
allow=alaw

If I call from softphone 1 to softphone 2, I presume that Asterisk
should do transcoding (canreinvite is set to no):

softphone 1 <- PCMA -> Asterisk <- GSM -> softphone 2

But, strange for me, Asterisk forces both sides to GSM. I guess that
this feature is done to avoid the problem of users setting always the
more bandwith consuming codec against its administrator desires.
However, is there a way to bypass this feature, so Asterisk set as codec
order the same offered by the softphone? Something in sip.conf like:

use_client_codec_order = yes (no by default)???

Thanks a lot.

--
Atly.
Alvaro Palma