[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 79xx and SIP 7.5 Problems

Mark Johnson asterisk at astroshapes.com
Thu Feb 23 14:04:37 MST 2006

C F wrote:
> I recently updated my phones Cisco 7960 phones (3 of them) in a high
> volume call place, where the Secretaries use the 7960 phones to answer
> inbound calls, as many as 15 simultaneous calls between all three of
> them.
> Since then I have had only constant problems, mainly that after 3
> calls on a phone, if they try to xfer or do any ohter things
> (sometimes just answer the 4th call) the phone freezes, they have had
> this happen to them throughout the week. Until yesterday I decided it
> must be a frimware problem, so I downgraded them to 7.1. Since then
> (around 5PM EST yesteday) it didn't happen *yet*. So I'm assuming it
> has to do with the firmware.
> So my question is, is anybody else using 7.5 firmware?
> If yes, do you have all the line buttons configured to the same SIP account?
> If yes, do you see the same problem?
>
> I also noticed that with 7.5 firmware callwaiting has to be enabled
> for the second call to be able to come in, otherwise the phone returns
> a Busy here, while with the older versions it could have been disabled
> and it worked fine, the phone only returned busy here on the 7th call.
> So I had to enable call waiting, the way I did it was that in the
> SIP<mac>.cfg file I added
> call_waiting: 3
> I'm not sure if this is related or not, but that was the only change I
> had to do to the config files.

It's nothing you did...  I did the same thing.  Went from 7.4 to 7.5 and
all sorts of weird things started happening.  The biggest of which was
lines 2-6 wouldn't register or display the same busy message you got.  I
also got double ringing which someone told me how to fix.  The phones
locked up...  I rolled back to 7.4 and have had no issues since.

Good luck!

Mark