[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on SPA-3000 rings extensions only afterthird ring

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Wed Feb 22 08:52:09 MST 2006

There really is no way to completely eliminate the lag, even if you
disable callerid.

Another workaround would be to connect a loud phone directly to your
pstn line.  When you hear it ring, jump up and grab your regular
phone.  It'll start ringing by the third ring.  You'll have callerid
pop up between the third and fourth ring (the 3-4 ring that the caller
hears, it'll be between the 1-2 ring on your regular line).  I
discovered this workaround when I left a fax machine (which had a very
loud ring) directly connected to my pstn line.  I was surprised at how
many calls came in and never got past the voice greeting (all were
unfamiliar numbers, probably wrong numbers or what-not).

I'm afraid for your situation, there's no way to do what you want
without some kind of workaround, especially since you need callerid
information.  I suppose you could disable callerid detection in
asterisk, and get callerid delivered to you another way (on your TV if
you have a satellite receiver that supports callerid, a device that
reads off the callerid to you, one of those nifty globes I've seen at
radio shack, etc.).  You'll still have a little bit of delay until
asterisk rings your extensions, but it'll be more like 1-2 rings
instead of 3.

I honestly think a voice recording being played just before it rings
your extensions isn't as bad an idea as you think.  I use one for my
residential line in addition to my business line.  Haven't heard a
single complaint yet.  In fact I've gotten a few nice comments from it
(I can customize the recording used based on callerid, leaving nice
cute messages for family/friends, and the default recording for
everyone else).

Hope you find a solution that suits your needs.

Joseph Tanner