[Asterisk-Users] Best ATA for general residential deployment??

Adam Moffett adam at plexicomm.net
Wed Feb 22 07:55:25 MST 2006

I read the thread about what IP phone is best for business deployment
with great interest.  Our need is slightly different however.  We are
deploying VoiP as a value-add with our high speed internet service and
are having trouble finding the right SIP analog terminal adapter.  In
order to support people's existing phones and wiring we need to use an ATA.

1) The first priority is we want to set it up and never look at it again ;)
    The way you make money on lower cost residential services is to make
sure you spend as little labor as possible after the fact.  If we have
to install a $200 part, we'll make that money back with the monthly fee
over time as long as we don't have to go back to, it or replace it, or
spend a lot of time on the phone doing support.

2) Second priority is remote provisioning....a truck roll to change
configurations is not acceptable.  A web or telnet interface is
tolerable, but tftp or http auto configuration is desireable.

3) Third priority is price....for obvious reasons

Perhaps the biggest issue is we don't want to have to supply a router or
switch in addition to the ATA.  It's a lot of extra cabling that people
might screw up, extra parts that might break, extra time for the
installation, etc.

Ideally, either a device that functions as an ethernet bridge (like
vonage ATA's) so that it can be positioned in-line with other equipment;
or a combination router/SIP adapter.

The absolute best thing in the world might be a combination router,
802.11 AP, 4 port ethernet switch, and SIP adapter with a backup
battery.  Plug in one box and you're done.  If the router can be
reconfigured as a bridge (for customers who prefer their own router) so
much the better.

Any reccomendations would be welcome.