[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

Bob Goddard asterisk-list at 1.asterisk.bgcomp.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 02:53:43 MST 2006

On Tuesday 21 Feb 2006 23:16, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> > £40! That would be a cheap and nasty switch with no prospect
> > of any management. A managed switch is worth its weight in
> > gold, /especially/ when you have to look after things remotely.
>
> How does one justify the extra cost of a managed switch for an office of no
> more than 5-10 users with limited SMB file sharing and lightweight internet
> access going over the thing? It's just not doable. In larger organizations,
> I agree entirely, a managed switch *is* worth its weight in gold, but not
> for small businesses.

You are lucky then that you have never been in a position to try
and work out why a node or network does not work when you are many
miles away. How much do you charge a day? The chances are that
just one days callout would pay for it. Using anything else other
than a managed switch for a business smacks of incompetence.
It can also tell if your customers have been playing sillybuggers
with the network.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/