[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on SPA-3000 rings extensions only after third ring

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Feb 22 02:05:19 MST 2006

> My telephone extensions on asterisk which itself is connected to the
> Bell line using SPA-3000, ring only after third ring from the caller.
> Why is this happening and what is the solution?

First, the ringback tone that a caller receives is not in sync with
the actual phone line ringing. In some cases, the ringback tone is
"almost" (but not quit) one ring cycle prior to the actual phone line
ringing.

Second, in the US the spa3k itself needs wait for the callerid to
complete _before_ it sends anything to asterisk. Callerid happens
between the first and second ring as others have already noted.
Depending on the ringback tone sync noted above and waiting for the
callerid, that elapsed time can approach what would be considered
the third ring. (You can watch asterisk's CLI for the incoming call
and judge the delay incurred within the spa3k.)

Once asterisk receives the sip exchange from the spa3k, asterisk runs
through your dialplan, and sends an appropriate sip packet to your
sip phones to cause it to ring. There could be some delay in the phone
actually ringing, and that delay will be 99% the result of how the
sip phone manufacturer handles the "ring" packet. Watching the CLI
and listening for the ring will provide some level of indication as
to how much delay is associated with it.

You might also trying experimenting with some of the spa3k parameters.
If I recall correctly, there is a configurable parameter associated
with how many rings have to occur before the spa3k forwards the sip
packets to asterisk. Its been a while since I've messed with the spa3k
so not sure where its located in their menues.

As others have already mentioned, if you don't use/have callerid on
your pstn line, then disable callerid to expedite the call progress.