[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on SPA-3000 rings extensions only after third ring

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Tue Feb 21 22:28:55 MST 2006

Same problem here with X101P.  In my case (and I'm guessing your
situation is similar, but not sure since the hardware is different)
asterisk needs to see the first ring come through before doing
anything.  Sometime between the first and second ring it gets callerid
information, then sometime after the second ring it can start
processing the call (i.e., execute what you have set in
extensions.conf).

My workaround, is to have asterisk actually answer the call, and a
voice (which my lovely wife recorded) tells the caller to please hold
while their call is connected.  Once the caller hears ringing tones
again, your internal lines are ringing at the same time.  No more
having people hang up after 4-5 rings, when all you've heard is 1-2.

This setup has the nice side effect of letting me force unknown
callers to press 1 before being connected.  Anyone I know (and have
entered their phone number in extensions.conf to recognize) won't have
to dial 1.  All others will, and this has so far eliminated all
telemarketing calls and even all wrong numbers (they know right away
they got the wrong number, and hang up without pressing 1).

It also lets me gain access to various functions no matter where I'm
calling from.  I can enter a password while the recording is playing,
and get dialtone.  From there I can call out (like a calling card), or
check voicemail, etc.  It's just like I'm dialing from an internal
extension, which can come in handy (say I need to reach my wife in the
middle of the day, when she's usually asleep and GotoIfTime directs
the calls to voicemail, and I'm calling from an unknown number; I just
enter my password, get dialtone, dial "6" which I have setup to ring
all internal extensions regardless of time, and voila! I have a grumpy
wife).  If asterisk didn't automatically answer the call, none of this
would be possible (well, I suppose I could press 0 during voicemail,
and have the o extension setup, but this way works better).

Maybe not the solution you were looking for, but personally I think
this workaround opens up a lot of possibilities you may not have
thought of previously.

Joseph Tanner