[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and T38 Fax

Carey Mould carey.mould at e2team.com
Tue Feb 21 18:13:35 MST 2006

How can I get asterisk to work with faxes in my configuration? I have a
WAN with Asterisk at the centre and Mediatrix 1104 gateways at the end
nodes providing tone to legacy PBX's and fax machines. The Asterisk is
connected to the PSTN via a Digium single port t1.

The end nodes are connected via frame-relay 128kbps links. I want to use
g.729 between the end nodes and the Asterisk box at the centre.
TheMediatrix box supports T38.  In my reading I am not seeing where
asterisk supports T38.

1) If a fax machine connected to the Meditrix box sends a fax to a
location on the PSTN (legacy fax machine) where is the T38 converted back?
2)Does Asterisk handle this?
3) How do I configure Asterisk to do this
4) What is the significance on the Digium web site where they have a CYA
on the T1 board not  supporting faxes ?