[Asterisk-Users] Recommended rack-mountable server anyone?

Alexander Burke asterisk at alexburke.ca
Tue Feb 21 06:11:56 MST 2006

Hello, Mitchel!

At 07:41 AM 02/21/2006, you wrote:
>I've been doing a lot of research into a decent server for Asterisk
>but I seem to be running and circles and now I am turning to you. The
>issue I have is it needs to be rack mountable (so a Dell SC430 isn't
>going to work) and preferably have 3 pci ports. The problem that I
>seem to be running into is that when I look at servers from Dell or
>IBM or the like they only seem to support PCI-X which (from what I
>understand) does not support the Digium cards that we already have and
>that they still make. So if anyone has a suggestion or has a server
>they rather prefer for it's reliability, expandability, etc, please
>recommend it!

As I understand it, PCI-X is fully backwards-compatible with PCI (as
in the presence of a PCI card on a PCI-X bus will cause that bus to
drop back to regular PCI mode). If you want something super-reliable
which can run Linux, Solaris, or Windows, and you require three PCI
slots, this may interest you:
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x4200/

(Click on the "Gallery" link for pretty pictures.)

I'm seriously considering two X2100s (because I don't need four disks
or any PCI cards):
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/

These boxes will run Solaris, Linux, or (ack) Windows, and their
remote monitoring/management support is second to none.

--
Alexander Burke, A+, CCNA
Kingston, Ontario, Canada