[Asterisk-Users] Intro and first questions

Cosmin Prund cosmin at adicomsoft.ro
Mon Feb 20 01:46:18 MST 2006

I'm a newbye myself so beware!

(1) http://www.voip-info.org is your friend. I've got most of my info off
that site and it's a good place to start.

(2) Download a Softphone like XLite (you'll also find info on softphones on
voip-info) and start experimenting "on site". When you'll be able to
configure your softphone to call an other softphone on a different machine
you'll be on your way to setting up the link with your daughter.

(3) If you've got a bit of experience with Linux and it's style of
configuration files stay away from automated GUI's like AMP and stuff as
they add an other level of abstraction on top of an already complex thing.
Resolving the issues that you'll probably run into will be a lot easier if
you typed the whole configuration files your self (as opposed to having them
generated by things like AMP). Out of my experience, after staring with a
fresh install of Asterisk at Home I had to basically DELETE everything in my
extensions.conf (the dial plan) as I was unable to make any sense of it. It
was a complex thing generated by AMP. I'm sure it was much better then my
own but I was plain simply unable to understand it!