[Asterisk-Users] Bridged line appearance

mustardman29 mustardman29 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 23:05:52 MST 2006

So are there any plans for bridged line appearance support in Asterisk?  The
new Linksys SPA9000 supports it.  A lot of other VoIP systems from Nortel,
Sylantro etc. supposedly support it.   Seems to me that Asterisk needs to
get on the bandwagon or be relegated to call centers, specialized voicemail
applications, and phone chat businesses.  It's not needed for companies used
to PBX's but something like 75-95% of all companies are small businesses
using key systems with BLA type behaviour not PBX behaviour.

Like it or not, the mass market uses and will continue to use BLA or
whatever they call it in the non VoIP world.  I know that without it,
Asterisk is a non-starter for most small businesses looking to replace their
key systems.

I am not a software developer but I remember reading a post by an asterisk
developer stating that implementing it in Asterisk would be difficult but
without it I think mass market appeal of Asterisk will be quite limited
IMHO.  There is a famous quote that states, "nothing worth doing is ever
easy".

Aastra just released their v1.3.1 firmware which supposedly supports the
internet draft spec of BLA.  The Polycom phones also supposedly support this
spec so the ability IS there on the phone side.