[Asterisk-Users] Application Faxing using SIP

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Sun Feb 19 09:10:24 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 07:36 -0800, Lee Howard wrote:
> This will work provided that you can create a near-lossless
> communication path between the ATA and the PSTN gateway (which is the
> Asterisk box, I assume).
>
> One way of creating that, I would expect, would be to add another
> ethernet card to your Asterisk server and then run a crossover cable
> between that interface and the ethernet interface of the ATA.
>
> You'll also need to configure the ATA to not do lots of things typically
> done by ATAs, like echo cancellation.

That's a good idea.  I hadn't thought of using a crossover cable and a
dedicated card like that.  (Though, that said, I suspect that the
datapath through our regular network switches is probably close enough
to lossless for this purpose as well.)

Any recommendations as to which ATAs are suitable for this purpose?  I
don't remember seeing a way to disable echo cancellation on either the
Grandstream or the Sipura ones that I have here.

p.