[Asterisk-Users] HandyTone 488 ata?

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Sun Feb 19 07:06:02 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 19:15 +0000, Phil Blundell wrote:
> Our HT386s are also a little bit prone to locking up and needing to be
> rebooted, but that seems to be a different problem: it occurs less often
> than on the HT488, and seems to be triggered by something to do with
> call transfers (which we never did with the 488).
>
> I've just bought an SPA-3000 to replace the HT488, though I haven't
> installed it yet.  I'm hoping that I'll have a better experience with
> this one.  If that works out, I might toss the 386s in favour of
> SPA-2000s as well.

In case anybody is interested, an update on this:

I replaced the HT488 and one of the '386s with an SPA-3000 and an
SPA-2002 respectively, and reliability does seem to be much improved.
Neither of those units have crashed yet after a couple of weeks of use,
whereas the '488 would lock up almost every day and the '386 about once
a week on average.

Early on, I had a bit of a problem with the SPA-3000 apparently not
hanging up the FXO line properly at the end of a call; this seems to
have gone away after some tweaking of the line settings, but I'm still
keeping it under review.  I also had a bit of a battle getting the
dialplan on the SPAs working right, and I suspect there might still be a
couple of things wrong there.

The SPAs seem to be generally more configurable than the Handytones, as
well.  In particular, it looks like the ring cadences are configurable,
which should be a welcome relief to those of my users who complained
about the "American" ring cadence on the Handytone.

Overall, I'm happier with the SPAs than the handytones, though neither
of them are entirely perfect.  Oh well.

p.