[Asterisk-Users] Bridged line appearance

Clint Sharp clint at kirkhamsystems.com
Sat Feb 18 18:20:20 MST 2006

I'm having a very hard time justifying trying to sell this to the SOHO
market on price or parity with key systems.  I've installed key systems and
large scale PBXs, and while working around the SLA problem isn't that hard,
the price point for a key system is very hard to compete with.  I've never
understood why people would want to use an SLA system, honestly, as it's a
really poor model.  I hate sitting in offices with constant paging "Call for
blah, line 1".  The PBX model to me is much more preferable, and working
around it is simply a training problem.

The problem with asterisk isn't the lack of SLA, it's the price point.  It's
going to be very hard for IP phone vendors to compete on price at this
point, and so far the quality issues in low-priced hardware to me means I
can't really sell this to anyone who's not willing to pay $200-$300 a phone
(retail).

Not that it's impossible, it's a different sales strategy.  Perhaps people
who are wanting to sell this to the SOHO market should attempt to change the
game, as PBX like functionality doesn't exist in the SOHO market because it
hasn't been affordable previously.  Asterisk systems are pretty cheap in
terms of the features they offer, such that the sales pitch really depends
on cost for features and maintenance and infrastructure savings rather than
overall cost.

Admittedly though, the voicemail system's navigation issues are a big
problem.

Clint