[Asterisk-Users] Bridged line appearance

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sat Feb 18 16:48:46 MST 2006

Michael J. Liberatore wrote:

>Man, I am all for shared line appearances.  I have asterisk systems in several small businesses and they all cry for it.  But there are ways around it as well, after a week all the bussinesses have gotten used to asterisk w/o bla.  Plus, past 4 lines, its hard to implement cause lots of phones only have 4 lines.  Trust me though arguing on this list wont get you the feature quicker, I have read tons of e-mails on here and have seen a pattern :)

Many very low cost hybrid key/pbx systems for the small business SOHO
market have 12 or more programmable buttons, so regardless of what is
done with Asterisk, until the IP phone manufacturers take off their
blinders and manufacture competing equipment, this market will be out of
reach. These same systems now have voice mail systems with capabilities
and features that make Comedian Mail the correct name.  Asterisk isn't
alone regarding these shortfalls, of course. IP phone system designers
have failed to understand the small business market for several years.

Defensive responses with lengthy explanations  why it can't be done, or
why it hasn't been done and will be difficult miss the point. Either
Asterisk needs to change to move into this market, or another product will

JMO

John Novack