[Asterisk-Users] Random Disconnects - or ARE they?

Brent Torrenga lists at torrenga.com
Wed Feb 15 14:35:48 MST 2006

I have one use on our PBX who has been experiencing seemingly random
disconnects. The user is on the same LAN as everyone else, using the same
type of phone (79XX loaded with SIP firmware) as everyone else. He had some
disconnects a few weeks ago, I suspected the phone, so I swapped his with
mine. I have since not had issues with his old phone, however, he has had
issues using mine. So, the problem seems to be not with the phone, but with
his station. I started thinking maybe the cable is bad. I checked the
network stats on his 79XX, and never see any receive errors - perfect
network performance. Also, the CLI has no indication of an error whenever a
disconnect occurs, it just looks like a normal hangup of the Zap channel
(TDM400P).

The ONLY difference between this user and everyone else is his extremely
loud talking. When I run ztmonitor it is obvious that he simply pegs the
meter. Either it reads peaked out or silence, whether he is speaking or
being quiet.

Is it entirely possible that he is driving the Zap channel so hard that it
either hangs up or causes the telco CO to hang up the channel? Is there
something else I should look at that might indicate what the problem is? I
am kinda pulling my hair out on this one, any help or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Brent A. Torrenga
brent.torrenga at torrenga.com