[Asterisk-Users] Solution for 1 time blast of 200, 000 recorded calls

Wai Wu wwu at Calltrol.com
Tue Feb 14 14:58:04 MST 2006

Yes. I have customers doing that all the time. They are service provider specialize in political campages. Going back to topic, it he is only doing this one time, why doesn't just find a service provider company to do it.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Chris
Bagnall
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:42 PM
To: 'Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion'
Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Solution for 1 time blast of 200,000
recorded calls

> I'm helping out with a political campaign and would like to use
> asterisk to blast out about 200,000 calls with a short
> message from the candidate.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd find it very difficult ethically to
be involved in this, even assuming it's legal.

Check very carefully that it's legal in your jurisdiction.

Assuming you get over those hurdles, for a provider, you'd want someone with
per-second billing and no minimum call charge.

If you get free local calls within a set area and it's a local election,
consider separating your dial list out into local (i.e. free) calls and
out-of-area calls. Use the VoIP provider for the out-of-area calls, and your
T1s for local calls.

200,000 calls isn't too bad if you're prepared to space it over a period of
time. If you're looking to target homes, you'll probably be aiming for times
from 6pm - 8pm during the working week (after people get home, but before
the kids go to bed), so if you wanted to do it over 2 weeks (20 hour window)
you'd need to process 10,000 calls an hour, or 166 calls a minute. There was
a discussion on the list recently about dimensioning for systems capable of
500 concurrent calls, which may be worth a read.

Regards,

Chris