[Asterisk-Users] Instant Messaging: with SIP or XMPP

Nicholas Kathmann nicholas.kathmann at kathmannconsulting.com
Tue Feb 14 13:18:07 MST 2006

I use Wildfire with the asterisk IM plugin, and it seems to work really
well.  I'm running Trillian pro (Trillian basic does not support Jabber,
it's an added cost option ~$25), and our clients are running Exodus.  I
do know GAIM doesn't show the status, only that the user is
unavailable.  Wildfire also has the ability to publish rosters to the
clients, meaning you can create custom groups with specified users.
This keeps the users from having to request everyone they need as a
friend, etc.  The only drawback I'm seen so far is that it's still a
pretty manual process, at least as far as I can tell.  You will have to
go into the Wildfire management and map the user's phone to the screen name.

We don't use IM to place calls or receive calls through *, just see
presence status.

Thanks,
Nicholas Kathmann, CISSP
Kathmann Consulting, LLC