[Asterisk-Users] attended call transfer

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.biz
Mon Feb 13 22:20:01 MST 2006

JCC,

The issue boils down to this: how much work does the human have to do to
get the calls routed to the right place?  In a traditional PBX
environment, a receptionist does not have to choose beforehand whether
he/she is going to do a blind or attended transfer.  Like I said before,
how many different types of transfer keys do you have on a "normal" PBX
telephone?  Just one.  A transfer is a transfer, regardless of whether
it is blind or attended.  If the phone system forces the human to choose
which type of transfer to do before he executes the operation then it is
limiting his ability to do his work effectively.

Ira's example about needing the flexibility to do a blind or attended
transfer is not at all far fetched.  Our receptionists answer over 1000
calls per day.  If they had to choose between blind and attended
transfers on every single call then that would increase their workload
significantly.  Thankfully, they don't have to because our PBX allows
them to do blind or attended transfers by allowing them to release the
transferred call simply by hanging up, regardless of whether or not the
destination station has answered yet.  That is the "proper" way of
executing transfers in 10's of millions of offices around the world
using legacy PBX's and key systems.

With Asterisk pushing the envelope forward in so many other areas, does
it really seem like a good idea not to have what many feel is a very
basic feature?  You've already seen 3 or 4 who would be willing to kick
in a few $ to get it into the stable release, and I'd wager that dozens
more would pay a modest sum to add this feature to their Asterisk
installations.  It's certainly less expensive than adding another
receptionist.

-MC