[Asterisk-Users] Why is asterisk ignoring my context?

Michaël Gaudette michael.gaudette at virtutel.ca
Mon Feb 13 08:28:56 MST 2006

Hi,

I've been fighting with a sip configuration for a few days, and I just
realized why it wasn't working.

In my sip.conf, I have the following

[someprovider]
Bla
Bla
Bla
Bla

And in my extensions.conf file, I have this

Exten => 555-555-5555,1,Noop(test)

Sure enough, when I dial 555-555-5555, it works.  What DOESN'T work is if I
use an extension in the sip.conf and extensions.conf.  If I change my
sip.conf file to :

[someprovider]
Bla
Bla
Bla
Context=test

And in my extensions.conf, I add
[test]

It doesn't work.  Further investigation shows me that if I remove the [test]
context in extensions.conf, It works REGARDLESS of whether I have the
context defined in sip.conf

In other words, it seems like whatever I put in sip.conf as a context for
those incoming calls, Asterisk just tries to find the extension in the
[general] context.

Is this
1) a known bug?
2) a misunderstanding on my part of hos contexts work?
3) a bad dream?

Mike