[Asterisk-Users] Sendmail with exchange

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sat Feb 11 17:34:18 MST 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 12:30:51PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:29:31AM +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> > Install MSMTP as your local MTA (replacing sendmail). Configure
> > Asterisk to use the local MTA, and configure MSMTP to forward to the
> > Exchange server with authentication.
> >
> > http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/
>
> The problem with msmtp and similar programs (ssmtp, nullmailer) is that
> they don't queue. Thus if there was a temporary problem at the network
> or the recieving side, the message is lost.

But now when I think about it, why won't asterisk queue the mail? The
message itself is stored in the mailbox. So Asterisk only needs to
remember where it is stored.

Basically:

If the sendmail command returns an error, The voicemail app knowss it
need to be queued. So it remembers the path to the message and the
details of the message in a queue.

Every once in a while there is an attempt to re-end messages in that
"queue".

If someone checks the messages in the mailbox, any waiting messages
should be invalidated.

Anybody feels like trying to see if this is close to implementable?