[Asterisk-Users] Sendmail with exchange

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sat Feb 11 03:30:51 MST 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:29:31AM +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 10/02/06, Jordan Novak <jnovak at logisticshealth.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am using Asterisk to send Voicemail out as Email. I am running into a
> > problem I believe to be caused by the exchange server requiring SMTP
> > authentication. I cannot get the sys admin's to turn it off. Does anyone
> > know enough about sendmail to help me.

Have you RTFMed?

http://sendmail.org/ has, under the section "Primary Sources for
Information":

please read the FAQ[1], as well as Compiling[2] and Configuration[3]
before asking any questions.

[1] http://sendmail.org/faq/
[2] http://sendmail.org/compiling.html
[3] http://sendmail.org/m4/readme.html

Under the Configuration link, the table of contents refers you to a page
about SMTP authentication:
http://sendmail.org/m4/smtp_auth.html

The relevant parts of it are the parts where sendmail is a SMTP client
to another SMTP server (the MS-Exchange server, in this case).

> > I am assuming that the default
> > mail client is sendmail. It will also send to other non-SMTP
> > authenticated servers. Your help is much appreciated.

BTW: you really don't have to use sendmail. You can use just about any
other mailer that provider a /usr/sbin/sendmail program . postfix, exim
and qmail will also do. I personally prefer postfix. Generally stick to
the default one of your distro if you don't have a good reason to change
it, as it will probably be the most maitained.

> Install MSMTP as your local MTA (replacing sendmail). Configure
> Asterisk to use the local MTA, and configure MSMTP to forward to the
> Exchange server with authentication.
>
> http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/

The problem with msmtp and similar programs (ssmtp, nullmailer) is that
they don't queue. Thus if there was a temporary problem at the network
or the recieving side, the message is lost.

And frankly, you may not want every message from the crond to end over
remotely.