[Asterisk-Users] TDM2400P FXS Only vs. T1/E1 to FXS Channel Banks

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Fri Feb 10 16:57:20 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 14:09 -0800, Jonathan Feally wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking to get some feedback on which solution of providing FXS is
> going to have the best results with faxing. I'm only looking to see what
> method is going to provide the best digitization into Asterisk, not for
> transmission from Asterisk to else where. Any recommendations of
> specific channel banks are welcome. I will need to provide approximatly
> 216 FXS Ports and need to make sure my conversion from FXS to digital is
> the best I can get.
>

> Thanks in advance!
> -Jon
Do you need 216 fax-lines????????

>From brief scan on the net:
One TDM2400 with six FXS modules costs about 1700 euro's. You need nine
(9*24=216) For hosting the TDM's, you'll probably need 5 machines,
costing ????

One Rhino channelbank with 24 lines cost 2700 euro's. You need nine
(9*24=216) To interface to the rhino's you'll need 9 * T1 lines.
TE411 are about 1900 Euro's

With channelbanks, you might be spending a little bit more money,
but you'll probably only need one ot two machines, instead of of pile.

But why do you really need 216 POTS-lines?
With channelbanks and T1 lines, you'll be spending about 130 euro's per
line. You can have nice desktops phones for less.
Why not one or two channelbanks and 200 new iax-phones?

My 0,02 euro's