[Asterisk-Users] Better i18n for Asterisk?

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Feb 9 13:24:23 MST 2006

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Do you know if there are any plans to improve i18n for Asterisk? The
> current i18n way of doing it with asterisk is very limited and most of
> the time does not work.
>
> For example, take voicemail:
>
> "message" "received" "at" "seven" "30" "am" might sound good in English.
>
> But:
>
> "message" "recu" "a" "sept" "trente" "apres-midi" sounds terrible in
> French, because you *need* to say "sept heure trente" and not "sept
> trente".
>
> Is there a way to fix this / improve the situation (other than write own
> voicemail AGI)?

Read voicemail.conf - you can change all the details on how we say dates
by defining timezones.

In 1.2, there are many improvements if you actually check around.
We do support many language syntaxes for saying numbers, so if you
need a syntax for your language, it may already be implemented in
Asterisk.

We've also added many, many countries to the configuration for
indications, both in Asterisk and zaptel. With each step, Asterisk
gets better and better in handling international environments.

There are many things to do to make Asterisk even more useful in
international environments and that's why we have set up a new mailing
list for i18n discussions. So far, not many people have been interested
in discussing this or doing anything about it, which makes me surprised,
since the interest always been high at Astricon conferences.

/O