[Asterisk-Users] Re: Remapping Polycom IP501 buttons

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Thu Feb 9 07:05:17 MST 2006

Hi Henry -

> Just started using an asterisk-based PBX with Polycom IP501 phones.  Am
> Fairly satisfied and am starting to get into FTP setup of the phones.
> Have figured out most things except for how button remapping works.
>
> In sip.cfg, I have this entry:
>
>    <keys key.IP_500.31.function.prim="DoNotDisturb"></keys>
>
> This works as expected but if I try to change the remapping to any other
> value like "MyStatus", "SpeedDialMenu", or "BuddyStatus", it doesn't work.
>  I got the list of values from Polycom's admin guide.  Why does
> "DoNotDisturb" work and no other values that I've tried?

You've run into the same problem a lot of other people have had.  Remapping
hard keys works fine, but remapping soft keys does not.  In fact, trying to
remap the soft keys results in some pretty weird behavior.  The Polycom
manual is a little misleading in that it doesn't mention this at all.  My
best guess is that the softkeys don't work because they can mean different
things depending on what the phone is doing at the time.  Polycom, if you're
reading this, this would be another great feature to have!

- Noah