[Asterisk-Users] Two Lines, Two Businesses

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Feb 8 18:26:56 MST 2006

After tinkering with a hand-knitted extensions.conf based on "Asterisk -
TFOT", I've now set up a server with Asterisk at Home and am experimenting
with it. I'd appreciated any advice from the more experienced list members
about which way to proceed.

We (my wife and I) have two separate micro-businesses with two POTS lines
plus fax. I'd like to have inbound calls on the two lines give different
ring tones (so the right person can jump to their feet to answer, rather
than both of us), and perhaps set up different attendant messages, as well
as having our office phones pick the right line for outward calls. Our
environment is currently Asterisk at Home 2.5, plus 2 x Snom 360, 2 x Snom 320
and one Grandstream GXP-2000.

It looks to me as though Asterisk at Home gives a lot of functionality for not
much initial effort, but I can't see any way to achieve what I want through
AMP. Would I be better off going back to a hand-knitted extensions.conf,
and if I do, am I right in assuming that the approach I need to take is two
separate contexts - one for each business? Or can AMP hack this
application?

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]