[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk native sounds now available!

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Wed Feb 8 14:46:14 MST 2006

Yes you can copy them into the same directory as the current files. Kris
recommends that you move your existing files for safety only.

The mode (ULAW, GSM etc) is selected by Asterisk depending upon what
mode the current caller is using.

Have you noticed that you don't have to put a file extension on the end
of a Playback instruction? This is because Asterisk looks for
filename.mode when trying to play a file. In the event it can't find
filename.mode it looks for filename.gsm.

If the file it's playing is not encoded using the current mode it has to
transcode the gsm file into whatever is required. This not only adds
computing overhead to the call in progress but degrades the quality of
the file as all such transactions are lossy.

Understand?

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ
http://www.g7ltt.com