[Asterisk-Users] Fedora Core 3 or Fedora Core 4? yum update ornot?

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Wed Feb 8 10:58:50 MST 2006

Keep in mind that if you want to run Asterisk Business Edition, RedHat
Enterprise 3 or Fedora Core 3 are currently required in order to receive
full technical support.  My options were narrowed down further by the
amount of RAM in our production server.  It has 20GBs, and all of the
documentation for RHEL3 mentioned limits below that.  I don't know if
those are hard limits or tech support limits, but either way it made the
choice to use FC3 obvious.

There is a lot of talk about the instability of Fedora Core as a
production server, but in my experience it's been very stable.  It's
helpful that the Asterisk server doesn't need to be visible outside of
our network, so I don't have to be as diligent about updates.
Generally, it's best to have a dedicated machine for Asterisk and this
adds another good reason why to the list.  If your Asterisk box is a
database server, ftp server, and web server as well, you could probably
save yourself a lot of headaches by offloading those tasks to another
machine.

That said, I am concerned about ABE's reliance on FC3/RHEL3.  FC5 test
releases are available and FC3 is being moved to Fedora Legacy, so it
seems like a good time to look at supporting ABE on FC4 as well.  If you
are interested, there is a lot of talk about the effects of FC3 moving
on the Fedora users list <https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/>
under the subject "Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy".

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer