[Asterisk-Users] Fedora Core 3 or Fedora Core 4? yum update ornot?

Ryan Amos ramos at finetooth.com
Wed Feb 8 10:04:50 MST 2006

This is turning into a sysadmin theory flamewar, but I think the main
point is that Fedora probably isn't the best thing to run on production
machines for QA reasons. This is because Fedora is more or less the QA
testbed for RHEL. CentOS is, for all intents and purposes (except a
little bug I discovered with large block devices >2 TB) the same as RHEL
without the support contract, so it is probably a better choice for a
server you want to keep working for a while.

Debian stable would probably work just as well (though IMO debian tends
to be a bit TOO old,) as would SUSE's stable release version. Just don't
use a "testing" release on a production machine. "yum update" (or
up2date, or apt) is pretty safe on "stable" release trees, but in the
testing releases you can run into problems with package dependencies,
versions, slowly updated mirrors... you get the point.

-Ryan