[Asterisk-Users] moh about twice as fast

Gary Richardson gary.richardson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:58:14 MST 2006

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get music on hold working. I have a wav file. It plays fine on
my windows laptop in all sorts of audio applications. If I put it on our
asterisk 1.2.4 box and do something like:

sox -V nov_2005.wav /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/nov_2005.raw
sox: Detected file format type: wav

sox: Chunk fmt
sox: Chunk fact
sox: Chunk data
sox: Reading Wave file: Microsoft U-law format, 1 channel, 8000 samp/sec
sox:         8000 byte/sec, 1 block align, 8 bits/samp, 3414263 data bytes
sox: Input file nov_2005.wav: using sample rate 8000
        size bytes, encoding u-law, 1 channel
sox: Output file nov_2005.raw: using sample rate 8000
        size bytes, encoding u-law, 1 channel

and then hook it up in musiconhold.conf like:

[default]
mode=files
directory=/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/

And make a call and stick it on hold, the music is playing roughly twice too
fast. If I use the stock mp3's that come with asterisk at home, all is good.

If I do

sox -V -r 4000 nov_2005.wav -r 8000 nov_2005.wav

The file is played back at the right speed, but is highly distorted. I'm
sure this is some rookie mistake I'm making.. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.