[Asterisk-Users] Opinions needed on call quality vs network latency

Michael J. Liberatore mike240se at straightandnarrowinc.org
Tue Feb 7 14:55:50 MST 2006

You cant go by pings.  ICMP traffic is given lowest priority on internet routers, where voip rtp or iax might be given much higher priority.  Plus I have 2 providers, the provider with the 90ms ICMP ping time is way better than the provider with the 15ms ping time.  It depends on so many factors, including their equipment.  I have a continuing problem with the voice dropping out for 1 second or less during a call and both providers have this problem but I haven't been able to figure out where the problem is coming from, inside my network they are on their own lan and the sound is great but using IAX or SIP to connect to teliax or voicepulse has these damn audio dropouts, and I even tried jitter buffer, 2 asterisk boxes, 2 different internet connections one DSL and one cable, and various codecs and a mix and match of all this.  Anyways your best bet is to get a pay as you go account and test....

Mike