[Asterisk-Users] 1 ISDN BRI to IAX2/SIP... (*) best tool or?...

Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) francesco at fampeeters.com
Tue Feb 7 05:08:32 MST 2006

On Tue, February 7, 2006 11:16, Peer Oliver Schmidt said:
> Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) schrieb:
>
>> They have several ISDN BRI connections, most of which will be dropped.
>> Only one will be retained, for 2 reasons:
>> 1) It has the ADSL link
>> 2) The number has been the main contact number for over 20 years.
>
> In germany you could move that number to a VoIP provider and use it from
> the main office direct. Then you won't need an asterisk in the remote
> location.

Over here we can as well, but that requires cancelling the line it is on.
That would mean we'd also lose the ADSL, and that would mean paying a
penalty, paying connect fees all over again and then restart the entire
provisioning circus all over again...

>> My question is whether there are any tools better suited for this than
>> an
>> old banger (AMD 800 MHz) PC with a HFC-PCI card and (*) relaying
>> (switch)
>> the incoming calls to the central box.
>
> Should be plenty enough. I am running a PII-400 with a AVM C4 connected
> to two ISDN-ports and have another IAX connection to a customers site.
> Works fine.

I have a PII-450 at home with 2 HFC-PCI cards (1 TE, 1 NT) with a few
ISDN-DECT phones and a few IAX phones, which runs great. The only drawback
is that starting AGI scripts takes a bit, so in and out bound calls take a
bit longer to connect (10-20 seconds...)

What I *also* would like to know is whether there's tools that people
think would be better suited for this...

IMHO a simple (*) box is the cheapest solution available, but I am always
interested in novel ideas...  ;-)

--
F Peeters
  PII 450 - 1 GB - * 1.2 - BRIstuff 0.3.0 Pre 1 - Florz patch