[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk native sounds now available!

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Feb 6 17:23:46 MST 2006

>Douglas Garstang wrote:
>>I think you may have missed a few files...
>>
>>[root at bil-pdev-5 asterisk]# ls -lR /root/sounds | wc -l
>>372
>>
>>[root at bil-pdev-5 asterisk]# ls -lR sounds | wc -l
>>1710
>>
>>Looks like the original number of files is 1710, but the new ulaw
>>format files only number 372...
>>
>>Doug.
>>

>Doug,
>
>	It looks like you have installed asterisk-sounds.
>asterisk-sounds is not included in the Asterisk Native Sounds
>Package.  That is a separate collection of prompts arranged by John
>Todd and contributed to the community.  I have already talked with
>him about that.
>
>	Other people have brought this up too.  Basically, I'll
>consider re-doing (and paying for) the sounds in asterisk-sounds
>based on the donations I receive for what is provided so far in the
>Native Asterisk Sounds package.
>
>--
>Kristian Kielhofner

I'll only take credit for a small portion of those sounds - the full
list of sounds in the "extras" list has only a few sounds that were
contributed by me (or funded by companies like VoicePulse or
CallEveryone.com and others who wish to remain anonymous.)  The mass
of those sounds has just... "happened" over time.

The sounds themselves won't take that much time to re-record - I
expect it would be an hour or two of Allison's time to re-do them in
one big, uncut session.  However, it has been noted that 90% of the
work of soundfiles is NOT the recording time - it's the editing,
naming, and re-formatting time.  That is what frightens me a bit if
we were to do the whole list over in "high quality".  It would be a
solid half-day (5+ hours?) or so of editing on my Mac, and that's
with the quick key shortcuts I have with my sound editor.  Other
editing volunteers are welcome if we get enough interest to have
Allison do the recordings.

JT