[Asterisk-Users] 1 ISDN BRI to IAX2/SIP... (*) best tool or?...

Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) francesco at fampeeters.com
Sun Feb 5 15:57:22 MST 2006

I have a question,

I have to provide a solution for an office that will be almost abandoned,
and there will be one or sometimes two persons 2 days a week. The main
number however should be preserved.

They have several ISDN BRI connections, most of which will be dropped.
Only one will be retained, for 2 reasons:
1) It has the ADSL link
2) The number has been the main contact number for over 20 years.

What we are looking for is to put a single SIP phone in the office, and
have it connect back to an (*) server in the central office, where all
other servers are located as well.

In the remote office a single machine should be placed to terminate the
BRI connection and relay it to the (*) server in the central office. That
way the old number can be retained and an active phone can pick up the
line as necessary.

The preferred protocol to use would be IAX2, obviously.

My question is whether there are any tools better suited for this than an
old banger (AMD 800 MHz) PC with a HFC-PCI card and (*) relaying (switch)
the incoming calls to the central box.
(No intelligence there, no AGI scripts, just encode and transmit. Also no
phones would need to be logged in to that machine, and outbound calling
would only take place in very rare cases when the lines *and* VOIP
connections at the central site are all congested...)

TIA!

--
F Peeters
  PIII 450 - 1 GB - * 1.2 - BRIstuff 0.3.0 Pre 1 - Florz patch