[Asterisk-Users] Do we need a QOS switch ?

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Sun Feb 5 12:52:50 MST 2006

stoffell wrote:
> On 2/5/06, phil.dawson at marnock.com <phil.dawson at marnock.com> wrote:
>
>> We have 10 people on our network and each person will have a SIP phone
>> connected to our Asterisk server.  All phones, Asterisk, other servers and
>> users workstations will be using the same network.  The question is: would
>> I need a QOS device to give SIP traffic a chance?  Our internal network is
>> 100M.  We will have a ISDN30 for outgoing calls.  No calls will be made
>> over the internet.
>>

> If you don't overload your internal network, you'll be fine..

Ah... THERE is the key phrase we were looking for. The proposed VOIP
traffic will have little impact on the usability of their network FOR
VOIP traffic. It is all the other stuff that runs across their LAN that
make make VOIP "a really cappy idea", if the don't take steps to ensure
that the VOIP traffic is managed properly. With the paucity of details
provide by the OP, it is impossible to say, with any degree of
credibility, that the "...will be fine..."

Do those 10 phone sit on the desks of graphic designers, whose file and
print traffic can bring a 100 Mbps segment to its knees?