[Asterisk-Users] Do we need a QOS switch ?

stoffell stoffell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 08:54:23 MST 2006

On 2/5/06, phil.dawson at marnock.com <phil.dawson at marnock.com> wrote:
> We have 10 people on our network and each person will have a SIP phone
> connected to our Asterisk server.  All phones, Asterisk, other servers and
> users workstations will be using the same network.  The question is: would
> I need a QOS device to give SIP traffic a chance?  Our internal network is
> 100M.  We will have a ISDN30 for outgoing calls.  No calls will be made
> over the internet.

If you have a fairly decent 100Mbit switch, you'll be fine. I assume
you will make up to 10 simultaneous calls, so you can calculate the
bandwidth you'll be using.
(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Bandwidth+consumption) When using
the G.711 codec, it'll be about 1.5-2Mbps when doing 10 simultaneous
calls.

If you don't overload your internal network, you'll be fine..

cheers