[Asterisk-Users] IP PAX gateway to PSTN

Sam samwun at telpacific.com.au
Sun Feb 5 03:00:01 MST 2006

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

> Sam a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I setup an IP PAX gateway to handle VoIP calls to a traditional
>> phone line, I am wondering how each VoIP call to the PSTN connection
>> get charged by a local Telecom.
>

> I am not really sure to understand the question. But assuming you are
> having:
>
> (remote phone) -> internet -> PSTN gateway -> end phone
>
> The connection charge is going to be PSTN gateway -> end phone.
>
> However note that in certain VoIP-backwards countries this scheme is
> illegal, and the telco might ask you to pay the international call
> termination charge if they find out you're doing this.

Thanks for the answer. Is this PSTN gateway is something for a VoIP
company to setup in order to connect their VoIP calls to the Telco's
PSTN then to the end phone? I don't think Australia treat this as
illegal. But I m not sure how much the Telco will charge from IP PAX (or
PSTN) gateway to end phone. Assuming that there are 1000 VoIP calls thru
Telco's PSTN to end phones, how will these  calls get calculated? is the
charge will be per-call basis?

thanks
Sam