[Asterisk-Users] ddi???

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sun Feb 5 02:56:36 MST 2006

On 4 Feb 2006, at 23:33, Chris Bagnall wrote:

>> You need to get BT to agree and allocate or port the numbers.
>> You need to agree how many digits BT will pass on to you
>> (probably 1925838395 but possibly just the last 2)
>
> I don't know the number of digits that BT pass through on a PRI,
> but on a
> set of BRIs with a range of DDIs, they're passing the last 6 digits
> (so
> given the OP's range, you'd want to match on 838381 etc.)
>
> I concur with Tim's suggestion of trying to get the internal
> extensions
> related to the DDIs - it'll simplify your dialplan substantially.
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you want to go to BT for the number range? 8
> channels through BT will cost a small fortune, and you could run 8
> concurrent calls over a standard ADSL connection in the UK with
> appropriate
> codec selections. There are at least 3 or 4 companies in the UK
> that'll
> offer you a consecutive number range for a UK area code.

Only a small fortune though :-)  my 8 NTL lines are £13/month (each)
BT do a similar deal.  (what is a business grade ADSL line now? £50/
month?)
Where a VOIP supplier you might save big-time would be on the call
costs.

If you sign up with a VOIP provider for business purposes,
make _absolutely sure_ you understand the risks.
Check the SLA and compare to BT/NTL's
Check your ISP's SLA.
Make sure you own the numbers and can port them off
to another provider (or a traditional telco).

I looked at these factors and decided that VOIP was too risky for
our main number, but fine for 'extras' and low cost international.

This was based on an experience we had 18 months ago,
BT had a major fire in the local exchange trunk in Manchester.
They had the phones working or redirected to mobiles within
hours. (NTL just kept working as they were on a fibre that didn't
pass through that duct). Our ISP was unable to offer any sort
of service for the best part of 10 days, and we were paying
£6k/yr for the leased line. If our phones had been over that
we would have been out of business for 10 days.

> You'd also avoid a substantial chunk of potential echo issues. The
> asterisk
> deployments we've done where the client has had calls delivered via
> IAX from
> a provider have all been *much* easier and taken far less time than
> when we
> have to fight with ISDN lines, or worse, analogue lines.

I'm pretty happy with my Digium PRI card, and it isn't even one with
echo canceling hardware. I haven't touched analog or BRI, as
yet.

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/