[Asterisk-Users] RE: 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Feb 4 13:54:08 MST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, John Todd wrote:

[SNIP]

> 3) Nobody else has thus far taken the bait and made any comments
> about their systems. I appreciate Signate's comments; they seem to be
> the only ones to publicly claim large-scale throughput using Asterisk
> in a public forum.  Most other people who claim thousands or even
> high hundreds of connections do so offhand, without responding to
> second questions when I raise my figurative eyebrows.

John,
	Per our conversation in San Fransciso, I am starting to push a
couple of my Asterisk boxes farther than I've gone before. I'm not yet
anywhere near the 5,000 concurrent call level on my boxes, but I am
starting to see 150-160 concurrent calls coming through the system. In
this case, these are SIP to SIP where Asterisk is staying in the media
stream, but rarely transcoding. Approximately 99% of the calls coming
through are just pass-through g729, with the occasional gsm conversion.
I'm running Asterisk 1.2.4-svn in a completely stock configuration. I.E.
no patches whatsoever, and absolutely performance tweaks. In fact, the
system is running using MALLOC_DEBUG to catch memory leaks and is built
using "dont-optimize" so we can get backtraces if things go south.

	My Dial-Plan is highly optimized, with a focus on being as
efficient as possible while offering failover options for call completion.

> 4) There are still no notes on other problems with scale here.  I've
> had systems with several hundred simultaneous SIP connections, but
> "sip show channels" sure does start to take a while.  What _other_
> problems crop up, but don't necessarily cause a "failure" condition?

Well, debugging anything on the console with 160 concurrent calls coming
through the system (sometimes 4-5 calls / second) is nearly impossible.
Most of the time, I don't even run the console, and simply execute
commands from a bash prompt as "asterisk -rx 'sip show channels'". I
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS issue a "set verbose 0" before I reload the box, as
a reload causes the box to hiccup slightly while it is printing the data
to the console.

I had originally opted to write CDRs to disk and then import them into a
SQL database, but after I cleaned up my dial-plan, I opted to use
cdr_odbc. I am concerned that this could cause a blocking condition if the
SQL server is unavailable, but for now I'm taking the risk because I need
to have real-time stats on call statistics.

> 5) I will agree that most SIP testing systems are currently too
> pricey.  I would love to find a well-connected network that rents out
> a few of the better-known SIP testing tools to beat on Asterisk
> installations in remote places for short periods of time.   But this
> has always been the case... test gear is a small market, and
> expensive.  Just look at the MSRP of new high-end HP Oscilloscopes if
> you want to get a picture of price-gouging.

I know that Olle spent some time at SipIt w/ Asterisk, and he's been
interested in doing some additional compliance and scalability testing.
I'd like nothing better than to get a couple of key developers together
for a weekend of scalability bashing somewhere, preferably outside of the
regular conference circuit (too distracting) to push things to their
limits.

                             KP-216-121-ST