[Asterisk-Users] RE: 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Feb 2 20:20:50 MST 2006

[top-posting continued due to formatting sloth on my part]

So, then let me follow up with a few more comments:

1) I will make some assumptions from your note:

    a) Asterisk is currently capable (unless something has "broken"
recently) of handling 2500 SIP-SIP calls with no transcoding,
including RTP sessions, if on an operating system and hardware that
is appropriately configured.  This puts to rest some who have claimed
that 5000 channels is "impossible" with Asterisk regardless of
platform, at least according to Signate.

    b) It is unclear if other channel drivers (IAX and Zaptel,
specifically) have had any testing with significant numbers of
channels.

    c) It is unclear if anything other than pure RTP passthrough is
viable in these configurations.  Maybe IVR causes collapse.  ?

2) Still no claims or comments on the specific testing methods, or on
methodology.  I'm left still scratching my head as to if this is
actually possible, since there is no specific claim that can be
verified.  While I hope that your system can do those numbers (it
would help me greatly in the future!) I can't say that I'm confident
yet.  I'll follow up in private email for further discussion.

3) Nobody else has thus far taken the bait and made any comments
about their systems. I appreciate Signate's comments; they seem to be
the only ones to publicly claim large-scale throughput using Asterisk
in a public forum.  Most other people who claim thousands or even
high hundreds of connections do so offhand, without responding to
second questions when I raise my figurative eyebrows.

4) There are still no notes on other problems with scale here.  I've
had systems with several hundred simultaneous SIP connections, but
"sip show channels" sure does start to take a while.  What _other_
problems crop up, but don't necessarily cause a "failure" condition?

5) I will agree that most SIP testing systems are currently too
pricey.  I would love to find a well-connected network that rents out
a few of the better-known SIP testing tools to beat on Asterisk
installations in remote places for short periods of time.   But this
has always been the case... test gear is a small market, and
expensive.  Just look at the MSRP of new high-end HP Oscilloscopes if
you want to get a picture of price-gouging.

JT