[Asterisk-Users] g729 license question

Andres andres at telesip.net
Fri Feb 3 21:21:51 MST 2006

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

>I am wondering how the g729 licenses are done during calls.  If I have N
>licenses for g729, and N are in use and an additional call comes in that
>requests N+1 to be in use, how does asterisk handle that call?
>
>Does it dump it?  Does it negotiate another codec automagically?
>
>Basically what happens to that call, obviously it wont (shouldnt) let
>you use more licenses than you have available, but I was wondering what
>the process was to negotiate a different codec, especially since there
>are different channel drivers that could potentially use that codec,
>whatever the method it would have to be generic ...

I can tell you Asterisk is not smart about handling the codec
negotiation once you exhaust your licenses.  The call will connect but
you will see lots of error messages on the console and there will be no
audio present.  It certainly would be very nice if Asterisk
automagically removed G729 from the offered codes once you reach the
limit.  But I don't think Digium is in a hurry to implement such a
feature since it forces people to buy more licenses than they really
need to avoid dead calls.

--
Andres
Technical Support