[Asterisk-Users] Slightly OT: OpenPBX.org and Freeswitch

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Thu Feb 2 13:51:13 MST 2006

This is slightly OT in that it isn't specifically *-related, but I was
wondering what the members of the * user community felt about these two
subjects.  I've been perusing the OpenPBX.org mail list and the current hot
topic is the fact that their project has come to a grinding halt.  They are
concerned that they don't have enough people working on their project.  They
feel that * has improved since the fork but they still have the same
complaints: the Asterisk core is a "pig," the core is huge and messy with
ugly code, and finally that Asterisk development is throttled by the
"Digistapo."

Some there have suggested that Freeswitch is going to be the wave of the
future.  They hyped it up pretty well.  However, after visiting the
Freeswitch site and signing up to get the source and docs, I'm not all that
impressed.  It's a great idea but it is months away from being a truly
useful product.

My questions to the Asterisk user community: are you at all concerned about
the complaints made by the "forkers?"  Or are they the ones who are all
forked up? ;)  What about Freeswitch?  Do you see that as a threat to
Asterisk or simply as yet another competing product?  (After all, there are
other open source PBX projects available.)

I would really like to hear your comments, concerns and viewpoints.

-MC