[Asterisk-Users] delaying "answer" for a number of rings or an amount of time

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Feb 2 12:14:52 MST 2006

I want Asterisk to delay answering the POTS line via a Wildcard (a Zap
channel) by some period of time, either a number of rings or just a
number of seconds.

I have tried this:

[from-pots]
exten => s,1,Wait(30)
exten => s,n,Answer
exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/brian&SIP/joe,10,H)
exten => s,n,Voicemail(u2001)
exten => s,n,Hangup
exten => s,103,Voicemail(u2001)
exten => s,104,Hangup
exten => h,1,Hangup
exten => i,1,Hangup

but that doesn't work.  It seems that as soon as the first or second
ring is detected, Asterisk has decided it will answer the line, it just
waits 30 seconds to do it.

The problem I have is that the POTS line that Asterisk is on is shared
by handsets, and if somebody picks up a handset soon enough, I don't
want Asterisk to pick up the line.  Yeah, Asterisk as an answering
machine... until I can get at least one FXS interface, anyway.

Any ideas?

b.

Brian J. Murrell