[Asterisk-Users] (newby) IAX Trunk on low bandwidth connection

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Thu Feb 2 02:04:44 MST 2006

On 2 Feb 2006, at 08:09, Cosmin Prund wrote:

> Brrghhh: Bandwidth calculation is really foggy for me:
>

> Using the calculator I’m getting about 23 kbps for both incoming
> and outgoing. What does this mean: Is a 64kbit link used at 71%
> capacity ((23+23):64) or is it used at only 35% (23:64)? Will this
> vary over time (i.e: does the codec generate more then average data
> at times? How about less then average?)

It depends on what sort of link you have. Most links are full duplex
(leased lines etc) which would be 35%
but some radio based links are half duplex which would be 71%

So for a 64k link you will (just about) get 3 729 calls.
If all the calls between are between the same two servers, you can
use IAX trunking, which would push
you up to 5 calls. (What that tells you is that for 729 and gsm, the
headers are as big as the data).

You talk about satellite stations, if you are going for a hub and
spoke, you should put the hub
on the highest bandwidth link.

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/